To enable customers to purchase subscriptions, you can create a Plan and tie it to products in your inventory. When a customer views your store online, appropriate Plan information will be fetched and displayed so customers can purchase a subscription-based on your defined frequencies and discounts.
- Customers can purchase 1 subscription at a time. In order to offer multi-product subscriptions, bundle the products in the shopping cart backend under one product ID beforehand.
- Plans cannot be associated with digital products.
- Subscriptions cannot use auth-capture (transaction-level auto-capture). Standard auto-capture after risk review is supported.
Plan Creation Request
To create a subscription plan, please reach out to your Account Manager with the following information:
- Plan Name: An internal name that is a unique per website used to help identify the plan (not shown to customers).
- Discount Code (optional): A string discount/promo code from the shopping cart platform, which is applied to each recurring order (not shown to customers).
- Frequency Options: A list of frequency intervals (in days, weeks, or months) presented on product pages for customers to select. At least 1 frequency is needed.
- Product Information (ID, Name, and image URL): A list of products for this plan set up to be applied to. Future plan modifications will also be applied across all of these products.
Plan Modification Request
To modify an existing subscription plan, please reach out to your Account Manager with the name of the Plan you'd like to modify and the following information:
- Discount Code (if changed, all existing subscriptions will also use the new code)
- Frequency Options (changes do not affect existing subscriptions)
- Products (changes do not affect existing subscriptions)
Example Subscription Integration
The Bolt success team provides custom reports and analytics for subscriptions. The standard reports include:
- Annualized Revenue: A ledger to evaluate the annualized value of your subscriber base
- Monthly Churn Rate: The percentage of customers who unsubscribed month-over-month
- Monthly Recurring Revenue: Subscriptions revenue month-over-month
- Average Revenue per Customer: Average subscriber value month-over-month
How do customers manage their subscriptions?
Customers are sent direct login links in subscription email & SMS notifications. If they click-through these links, their account will automatically be detected and the customer will be sent a 6-digit code to verify their identity and login.
How do customers cancel their subscription?
Customers can cancel their subscription in their dashboard by clicking "Manage" and switching the subscription status to Inactive. Alternatively, merchants can cancel it for them in the Subscriptions tab of the Bolt merchant dashboard. This doesn't cancel any orders that have already been created.
How do customers re-activate their subscription?
Customers can re-activate their subscription in the dashboard by clicking "Manage" and switching the subscription status to Active. This immediately places a first order, sends the customer a confirmation email and SMS, and re-activates the subscription. Alternatively, merchants can re-activate it for them in the Subscriptions tab of the Bolt merchant dashboard with the same result.
How do customers skip an order?
Customers can skip the next order directly in their dashboard. Merchants can skip any of the upcoming 4 orders for a subscription in the Bolt merchant dashboard.
How do customers edit their subscription quantity?
Customers can update their subscription quantity for all future orders directly in their dashboard.
Do recurring orders still appear in my shopping cart backend?
Yes, each recurring order will be created and processed in the same way a one-time order would be. You can view all past and pending orders in your shopping cart backend.
Can customers edit their billing and shipping information?
Customers cannot edit this information directly currently. We are working on incorporating this in an upcoming version in order to fully support customers and appropriately gather risk signals for fraud detection.
Can customers see when their next order will be?
Yes, customers can view the next order date directly in their account.