The Checkout Completion Rate is the percent of customers that end up converting to a sale after they click the checkout button.
Calculating the Checkout Completion Rate
Pick a 3 month or 6 month period to do the calculations then:
Number of sales / Number of checkout visits
Using Google Analytics
Steps for the number of checkout visits:
- Login to Google Analytics
- Select Behavior then All Pages on the left side
- Select the time range in the top right
- In the search bar, enter a key term of the URL of pages where your shoppers start a checkout. Most often it has checkout as a keyword
- The Pageviews is the number of times shoppers have seen that page. Sometimes there are multiple URLs to start a checkout, such as if the shopper is logged in or not. Add up all the pageviews for every page where shoppers start a checkout.
Steps for the number of sales:
- Use the same steps 1-3 from above.
- In the search bar, enter a keyword for your order confirmation page. It can be success, confirmation, or thank_you. Often checkout is also a keyword for the confirmation page as well.
- The Pageviews is the number times a shopper sees the order confirmation page.
Google Analytics Guide