Bolt is liable for chargebacks on all fraudulent or unauthorized transactions. This includes but is not limited to:
- Unauthorized charges (Compromised cardholder) such as:
- A criminal finds a lost card
- The physical payment card is stolen
- Counterfeit cards are created with stolen account information
- Hacked account information is used to make transactions
- Friendly Fraud (Family/Friend using card without explicit consent)
Requirements for Bolt to assume chargeback liability:
- The transaction was processed through Bolt
- The purchaser completed checkout themselves (as opposed to a merchant’s agent completing checkout on the purchaser's behalf)
- For physical goods, the merchant has retained tracking numbers and relevant shipping documentation to help Bolt fight chargebacks.
If the merchant does not follow the above guidelines, Bolt is not liable for fraudulent chargebacks.
Bolt is not liable for non-fraudulent chargebacks. Non-fraudulent chargebacks occur when the cardholder authorized payment but rejected the transaction due to an issue with the product or their ordering experience. Non-fraud chargebacks include but are not limited to:
- Product received was not what the customer ordered
- Product was never delivered or was damaged upon delivery
- Customer returned the merchandise but did not receive a refund
- Other merchant errors (Poor customer service, unwanted recurring payments, authorization errors, or faulty product fulfillment)
Additionally, the merchant is liable for the following fraudulent chargebacks:
- Force-Approved transactions (Bolt rejected the order but the merchant overrode the rejection)
- Transactions such as phone orders that the merchant places on behalf of the customer (either through the Bolt Virtual Terminal or through checkout on the website).
- Transactions where the order details, such as shipping address or recipient name, are changed after Bolt approves the order. If you'd like to change order details and retain fraud coverage, please email Bolt Support with your requested change and we'd be happy to re-review your order.
Note: If you are booking a transaction on behalf of your customer (i.e. phone orders), we highly recommend using the Virtual Terminal rather than booking through your website checkout. Bolt only charges processing fees on orders placed through the Virtual Terminal, and does not charge a Bolt fee. On the other hand, orders placed through the website checkout will be charged both the processing fee and the Bolt fee.
Bolt's full chargeback terms can be found here: https://bolt.com/chargeback-terms